This is the kind of meal built for early mornings, for mornings where you have to be out the door minutes after the alarm rings. Simple, easy, nutritious and filling. Lets get to it.
The base is made with a combination of oats, milk, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt. Banana is added as the sweetener while almond butter such as those from nuts about butter adds creaminess to the oats.
Here Gen used spelt flakes instead of rolled oats as she prefers the heartier and chewier bite to it. But if you can’t get your hands on them, old fashioned rolled oats does the job, instant rolled oats lends to a softer texture but if it appeals to you more by all means.
Ingredients: (serves 1)
• 1/3 cup thick rolled oats (or spelt flakes, buckwheat groats etc.)
• 1/2 cup milk of choice (almond, oat, soy, dairy milk)
• 1 banana
• 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
• 1 tbsp nut butter
• Pinch of salt
• Pinch of cinnamon
• Pinch of vanilla powder/ vanilla paste
Topping of choice
• Bee pollen
• Cacao nibs
• Toasted nuts
• Drizzle of extra nut butter
- Place all of the ingredients together in a jar and mix it well the night before.
- Leave it in the fridge overnight till the flavors have mingled and the mixture firmed up like a pudding.
- Add more milk if you prefer a more liquid porridge.
- Enjoy it cold with all the fixings as desired or place the toppings in the jar as a grab and go.